I was intent on setting a good pace on my walk at the Snow Road Metropark this afternoon. There’s a nice paved walkway there that runs along a river bank, shrouded by trees, and generally populated by a lot of walkers/runners. I was peering over the bank of the river as I walked along and suddenly saw a ball of feathers in the grassy bank, just about 5 yards from me. In a fraction of a second I realized it was a huddle of 4 ducklings, their mother close by. We sort of looked at one another a minute or so, they stirred from their huddle and followed mother into the river, all in a row.
Such moments bring sparks of delight to the routine of our lives and stir us from pre-occupation with our daily concerns, lifting our spirits. When such moments derive from nature, they speak to me of the order in the natural world established by our Creator.
Last Sunday when driving back to Cleveland from visiting with my parents, the sun peeked out from behind the storm clouds just as it was about to set, creating a double rainbow on the horizon before me.
And last Friday evening, I was taking Ruthanne home after dinner, turned down the Big Creek Parkway from Brookpark (as a very pleasant alternative to Ridge Road) and up near Snow Road we saw a doe with a young spotted fawn grazing calming about 20 yards off the roadway.
A quite unexpected and joyous moment took place at the office recently and its one I don’t think I could ever forget…. looking up from my task at hand to see Joanie and Will standing in the doorway. They had traveled literally half way around the world from the Philippines where they serve as missionaries. I hadn’t seen them in probably two years. They are in the States on furlough for the summer. Since both of them had worked at The City Mission previously, it was such a joy to watch their reunion with staff and volunteers with whom they had worked hand in hand.
Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. Genesis 9:12-13 NLT
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment