I don't think I've ever used my blog as a venue for airing anything negative, like pet peeves, which by definition are minor annoyances. Complaining doesn't seem to accomplish much but we seem to get some sort of satisfaction out of it anyway. With all the significant issues our world faces today, why do we waste our energy getting worked up about things that are relatively insignificant? I found web sites with long lists of pet peeves like maps that aren't folded correctly, people who are noisy eaters, shopping carts with wheels that get hung up etc etc.
Litter is one of my pet peeves so I was pleased to come across a poem that speaks to the issue much better than I could. You'll find the poem at the link below on the April 9th Writer's Almanac, but first let me add a few cents worth of complaint...
Like those stupid plastic bags that the wind picks up and deposits high up on a tree branch. There's one decorating the tree by my office window and one stuck on the utility pole behind my house. And what's with cigarette butts? There must have been a hundred of them stuck in the metal grating on the sidewalk I traversed on my way to a meeting downtown. How disgusting.
"Keep America Beautiful" :
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2009/04/09
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment