Eliza had lost her first-born son in 1834 when he was only 15 months old. Then her first husband died the day before her last child was born, March 5, 1839. With her remaining sons away serving in the war, she and her second husband Elisha struggled to keep the farm going with fewer hands to help. Between the letters from her sons, they could only wait and pray for their safe return.
In a letter dated October 9, 1863 Eliza conveys the sad news that her son George had fallen as a sacrifice in the Battle of Chickamauga, Georgia on September 20, 1863. He had served in the 44th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
Berea Oct 9th, 1863
Dear Brother and Friends:
Knowing your anxiety to hear from the boys I will drop you a few lines. I should have written yesterday but we did not go to the office till after noon.
We have sad news from the battle. Poor George has fallen a sacrifice for his country, I feel sad to hear such news. Had hoped they might be spared to return home in safety, but I feel now that our ranks are broken. The Lord gives grace, I still trust Him, a number have fallen from this place, one the only son, and his Mother a widow. He said tell my mother I die trusting in the Savior. He was a member of Elisha’s class. Oh how many sad hearts and homes this wicked war is making. I feel sorry for the boys, they will miss George so much, there is not many boys that thought more of each other than they did....
The three flags by Eliza's headstone testify to her sons' service. Thankfully her remaining sons John and James survived the war. But in the end, Eliza outlived four sons and two husbands, and still was strong in her faith.
.
".....if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world. ....Christ was raised as the first of the harvest; then all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back."
1 Corinthians 15: 19 and 23 NLT
No comments:
Post a Comment