Friday, January 1, 2016

One day closer

Reflecting on the passing of 2015 and looking to what lies ahead, I gather my thoughts from several weeks back…

It was November 29, 4 a.m. and I was pacing the living room floor but not in a restless, agitated way but quietly, thoughtfully. I am waiting for my body to do whatever it needs to do to fall back into sleep. The only light in the room is from the not-quite full moon light filtering through the windows and the 7 watt bulb in the crèche, but it is enough to keep me from tripping or stumbling.




Waiting, it's not generally something I do patiently.

It was the first day of advent and advent is all about waiting. Waiting for His coming, and since he has already come in the flesh, we wait now for His second coming.

And as we read the headlines on the churning of world events, and the threats of terrorism near and far I suspect there is a greater longing for his coming stirred up in the hearts of many.

On a recent Saturday I spent some time with some Jews who believe that Jesus is THE Messiah, otherwise known as Messianic Jews. Two of them brought back a report of their volunteer service in Israel, Ukraine and Russia. In spite of all the turmoil and persecution in those regions, there are many Jews coming to believe in the Messiah. And they believe His second coming is imminent. 



In the quiet moments I listen to the tick-tick-tick of the clock, time moving relentlessly forward. I sometimes wish I could hold back its progress, especially in times of joy and rest. I want to linger a little longer in those moments and let them nourish my spirit but inevitably they seem to slip by so quickly. Yet for those suffering emotional or physical pain, the hours can seem to drag by so slowly.

Whether fast or slow, whatever the times or season, it always helps to remind ourselves that life is fleeting, and that every day brings us one day closer to that glorious Second Advent.

"You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? it is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." (James 4:14)

John Piper offers this poignant and memorable advice for a new year:


"Life Is Short. Eternity Is Long. Live Like It.”




No comments: