Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Remembering and forgetting, Pt 2

Pursuant to what I wrote in the April 6th entry about monuments honoring soldiers, I've been seeing them everywhere. Just yesterday on the way back from camp I saw 4 small town monuments just along Rte 45 between Rtes 88 and 166. Even the little 4-way stop called Rome had one.

On the way back through I had the time to stop at a few of them. In Orwell I found a large grey plaque listing all those in the area who had fought in the Civil War, listed by the regiment they served in. "For all they were and all they dared, remember them." was near the top. Those words, "remember them" kept recycling through my mind the rest of the day.

Another plaque adjacent to this grey one honored the military career of General Chaffee, whose birthplace was Orwell. After surviving the Civil War he remained in the army, served in several other wars and finished his 45 year military career in 1906 as the United States Army Chief of Staff.


In Bristolville I found what is claimed to be the first Civil War Memorial in Ohio, erected in 1863. With everything else that was going on at the time, I wonder who was keeping track of whether it was the first one. Along the base of the monument is inscribed "Defenders of the Union." In front of it is an Ohio Historical marker and on the front corners of the little town square were two tall monuments with names of those who had served their country inscribed on both sides of each.

There was a cub scout pack meeting in the park shelter, being led by a den mother (like my Mom used to do). They’re probably too young to understand the significance of these monuments but lets hope that the Memorial Day ceremonies and their school history lessons will teach them well.

No comments: