When
I look through my collection of favorite family photos, I think what a gift it
is to be able to capture that one moment in time, now preserved for decades to
come. This bit of photographic paper I can hold in my hand carries with it the
power of memory, inspiration, and gratitude for the richness of life. A
collection of photographs tells the stories of our lives, who we are, where we
came from, what contributed to who we are now, what is important to us, where
we are going.
Most
of us have great photographs stored on our phones but few are printed, which
limits their accessibility and preservation of memories. I say all this to
advise you to make it a habit to regularly print at least a few of your
favorite photos. Otherwise, those
precious memories will be lost forever.
Thankfully
many of our ancestors went to great pains and expense to get formal portraits
done on a seemingly limited budget. One of my prized photos is an exquisite
portrait of my Grandfather Webb Hester as small child being held by his mother.
Beyond
the formal portraits, the snapshots of daily life always bring back wonderful
memories. My Dad did a good job of documenting our childhood and many of those photos
still bring a smile to my face. Then as a young adult I became the unofficial
family photographer and began capturing snapshots and portraits of all my
family members.
Now
that both of my parents have passed on, I’m so grateful for the photos I
captured of them. One afternoon my parents were bragging about how they could
still fit into clothes from many years past so Dad put on his Army jacket and
Mom put on her wedding suit and that’s when I captured one of my favorite
photos of them.
These photos were taken on film back when my nephews were little guys. It started out with them just sitting on the front steps at my Dad's house. In the frame before this, I got the idea to have them pose as the three monkeys - hear no, speak no, see no evil. It took a little trial and error but we eventually got it (sort of).
This series always brings a big smile to my face...

No comments:
Post a Comment