Saturday, May 24, 2008

Remembering Pt. 3

[See my April 6th and 9th posts for Parts 1 and 2].

There was an e-mail circulated among staff this week pertaining to the ways that veterans have helped to assure our many freedoms. In that e-mail is a memorable photograph of people watching a parade. The only person standing as the flag passes by is a man bracing himself in front of his wheelchair.

It was that photograph that compelled one of my coworkers to announce that she intended to commemorate Memorial Day in a meaningful way, not just with the traditional barbecue. She reflected that many of us tend to take our freedoms and our flag for granted. I would agree. Most of us go about our daily lives without much thought of the conflict in Iraq, unless we know someone who is there.

I am proud to say that both of my parents served in WWII. Mom was stationed stateside in Topeka and Dad in the South Pacific.

Here's my Grandpa Hester with two of his sons in uniform. He had a world map on his wall and kept track of where everyone was. Thankfully my uncles Jim and Finlay survived the war as well.

I can only imagine that probably the greatest hardship of being in the military is the lonely separation from loved ones. My Great Great Grandfather Loren expressed such thoughts in his Civil War diary.

December 4, 1861... Having received a letter from home, I learned that my mother is nigh unto death. I therefore wrote this evening a farewell letter to her, bidding her a final adieu. I find it a hard task and it gives me much pain.

Here is an excerpt from an old Civil War song:

Our weary hearts, a song of home,
And friends we love so dear.
Of the lov'd ones at home that gave us the hand,
and the tear that said, "Goodbye!"
Of the brave and true who've left their homes,
Others wounded long. Some are dead and some are dying,
Many are in tears.

Chorus:
Many are the hearts that are weary tonight,
Wishing for the war to cease;
Many are the hearts looking for the right
To see the dawn of peace.

No comments: