Saturday, May 10, 2008

Shoes and other ephemera: at tribute to my Mom

Ephemera… fragments from life, tucked away in drawers and boxes. Book reports, ticket stubs, school play programs, grade cards, newspaper clippings, baby shoes…

I can’t look at these shoes without thinking about all that they represent… the days and weeks and months I was learning to crawl and walk and explore my world. And for nearly all of that time my mother was close by, spurring me on, keeping me safe.

There’s the Alice and Jerry pre-primer workbook, a place for little hands to learn how to print letters, a place where my mind awoke to the wonder of reading. The summer reading certificates… how much I enjoyed the reading programs at the library, with each book completed I added another sticker to my certificate.

Then there’s the certificate for a perfect score for all of my 6th grade spelling words. We practiced every Thursday night for the Friday test. The yellow and white striped draw-string apron (one of my first 4-H projects) and the many other sewing projects…. Mom was there helping me pick out the fabric and thread the needle. In my collection I find a blue ribbon for a 4-H project displayed at the county fair, but I’m not sure what it was for.

There’s the Girl Scout sash, filled with badges, each one representing projects and assignments completed. The clarinet sheet music, representing hours of squeaky practice starting in sixth grade, and the annual spring concert in a stuffy gymnasium.

I still use the sewing machine I received at the age of 16. Unlike most of my other ephemera, it still serves a practical purpose but holds plenty of memories. The same holds true for my Betty Crocker cook book.

Then there’s a sizable collection of family photos (most taken by Dad) each with its own story… riding my tricycle, playing in the sand box, cooling off in the wading pool, opening Christmas presents, graduating from kindergarten….

Each of theses "fragments" of my life reflects the qualities of mothering that my Mom exhibited…her nurturing, protection, provision, instruction, correction and most of all her presence.

One of my Dad’s favorite sayings is "Mothers make a difference."

This is only a token of my deep gratitude. Thank you, Mom. I love you.

No comments: